Meprolight U.S.I.T. Universal Sight Installation Tool Details
UNIVERSAL SIGHT INSTALLATION TOOL INSTRUCTIONS
THE FOLLOWING IS TO SERVE AS A GUIDELINE, AND NOT INTENDED TO SUPERSEDE THE GOOD JUDGEMENT AND EXPERIENCE OF A QUALIFIED GUNSMITH IN THE SAFE AND PROPER USE OF THIS TOOL. THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE TO BE USED IN ADDITION TO ALL FACTORY INSTRUCTIONS FOR BOTH THE PISTOL, AND THE REPLACEMENT OF SIGHTS.
REAR SIGHT REMOVAL:
- Check the firearm to assure it is unloaded before attempting to disassemble.
- Proceed with disassembly as instructed by your Owner‘s Manual.
- If so equipped, remove the decocker/safety levers from the slide according to your Owner‘s Manual, or by the instructions of an authorized factory representative.
REAR SIGHT INSTALLATION:
- Using the reference chart provided, select the appropriate support block position and install the block so that the number is against the fixture body. Slide it on the two guide rods.
- Center the pusher body and insert the rear of the slide, being careful to assure the pusher ears will clear the top of your slide before attempting to push the original sight out of the dovetail. NOTE: Due to some manufacturer slide variances it may require experimenting to get the proper support position.
- Tighten the slide clamp handle firmly against the side of the slide. Do not overtighten.
- Before removing the rear sight it is wise to draw a fine pencil line on the side of the rear sight that will be the last to leave the dovetail. By doing this you can realign the replacement sight back to the original position. This should save you some ammunition when checking for point of aim.WARNING: The pistol slide may be damaged if slide clamp is not properly tightened or if the slide is not located to allow the pusher ears to clear the top of the slide.
FRONT SIGHT REMOVAL:
- Start the sight into the dovetail from the side from which the old sight was removed being sure the tritium light sources are facing to the rear. Some fitting may be required due to tolerance variances in dovetails. NEVER FORCE A SIGHT INTO THE DOVETAIL (S) AS THIS COULD CAUSE DAMAGE. If necessary file the sight to fit.
- Reinstall the slide back into the U.S.I.T. tool just as it was when you removed the original rear sight. Be sure that the pusher block is positioned properly to align with the rear sight before starting installation. Clamp the slide firmly but do not overtighten the clamp.
- Turn the pusher handle to move the sight into the dovetail and align to the pencil line you had previously drawn.
- Remove slide from U.S.I.T. tool and, if necessary, reinstall the decocker/safety levers per your Owner‘s Manual and check to be sure that they are working properly.
FRONT SIGHT INSTALLATION:
- Refer to the chart for the direction that the front sight is to be removed. Again draw a pencil line on the side of the front sight that will leave the dovetail last.
- Before installing the slide in the tool, move the pusher body to the side that will be pushing the front sight out of the dovetail. Use the outside flat vertical area to remove the front sight, not the center of the pusher.
- By experimenting with the proper height of the support block, being sure that the pusher ears will not contact the top of the slide once it is located and supported by the support block, tighten the slide clamp firmly to secure the slide. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN.NOTE: You may want to put some thin leather on the opposite side of the clamp block to give you a better contact surface and not allow the slide to slip when installing sights.
- Turn the pusher until the front sight is removed.
SIG, H&K AND BABY EAGLE SLIDES. The slide clamp block can be rotated to accommodate these different slides. In one end of the clamp is a hole. There is a hex nut inside that you must loosen so you can turn the block upside down.
- Start the front sight into the dovetail from the side you removed the original front sight being sure the tritium light source is facing to the rear. Some fitting may be required and if necessary file the sight to allow it to start into the dovetail.
- Reinstall the slide into the tool being sure that the pusher will align properly to the side of the sight.
- Clamp the slide firmly. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THE SLIDE CLAMP
- Turn the pusher until the sight is aligned to the pencil line.
- 5) Remove the slide from the tool and reassemble your pistol.
- ALWAYS TEST FIRE THE PISTOL FOR PROPER SIGHT ALIGNMENT.
SPECIAL NOTES: Colt 1991A1 front sights are stake-on style. The tool used should only support the front sight on the skirts and must not contact the top of the front sight. Any contact with the top of the sight could cause damage.